Sunday, August 16, 2015

bush beans & update

The okra is producing well and I'm putting it in soup today.  There are one or two plants with lots of ants (right by an ant hill) which I knock off occasionally with a hose, though usually let them be.  There are a few at the other end with some bugs that look like assassin bugs, though they could be juvenile leafcutters. So long as I only see a few it's not a big deal, and I just flick them off to annoy them. 

The watermelon plants are blooming.

The sweet potatoes continue to grow and provide me with lots of greens for soups and such. 

Today I'll plant bush beans - Jade (from Botanical Interests).  I see now that's probably not an ideal type, but I'll give it a go.  I have three mounds that I'll plant them on - one was a tree, one was squash, and one I had prepped for squash but lost interest when they didn't do well.  I'll plant the beans there and also in one garden bed (where I currently have basil and nothing else). 

I'm keeping my deeper garden beds for root crops such as carrots and beets.  I plan to prep a few more rows using the now aged horse manure, to plant other winter crops such as cabbage and broccoli, chard and lettuce. 

I'm holding off on planting any more right now because I'll be out of town a good chunk of September and I'd rather not worry about having somebody water the garden then. 

When it cools off in the next few weeks, I want to get another load of horse manure to let age in order to build beds in the spring for summer crops.  Best to not plant crops in the same place every year, and all my soil needs to amended significantly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment