Sunday, May 24, 2015

more seeds, for late summer planting

This is what I'm ordering right now from Botanical Interests.

Yes, I'm already obsessed about winter harvests.  Most of these go in the ground in August, so I'm not *that* premature in ordering.

Some of these are super exciting - like the delicata.  I could only find some here once for a minute.  It's an amazing winter squash, so easy to deal with, and such a pity it's not more widely grown and sold.

If you've never had mizuna, I pity you.  While it makes a great salad, soup, or stirfry, my absolute favorite way is to boil new potatoes, put in some olive oil (or a little bacon with grease), freshly ground pepper, and then coarsely chopped mizuna.  Putting it in with the hot potatoes makes it wilt a bit.  It is SO GOOD.  I ate so much of that last year.

Note that I'm not trying crops that are more challenging to me or I've never tried.  I want some successes first.

The thing about growing my own food is that there are MILLIONS of seeds to choose from. But in a typical American grocery store, only a few of those things are on offer.  It makes me sad.

So here's to the future, and the hope that seeds bring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment